Monday, April 19, 2010

Earth Day is Coming

Earth Day should really be everyday, however...this Thursday is the "official" Earth Day. This year, my family has really put forth an effort to be more GREEN. I won't say we have arrived, but we are on our way. We have been taking small steps toward a goal in hopes of making these lifestyle changes stick. The first thing we did was start recycling. This was pretty easy since Chattanooga offers curbside recycling, and does the work for us. The second thing we implemented was taking reusable bags with us to the store. This is a no brainer. Then we started cutting back on boxed food, and reaching for more fresh (locally grown) produce. This can be a bit harder, especially with kids. Our most recent endeavor was starting our own garden. We are starting on a small scale, as with everything else, but hope to expand it next summer. Right now we are growing tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, banana peppers, squash, zucchini, and carrots. Lastly, we are researching how to make our own compost bin, and will be starting that ASAP.

We are super interested in having chickens for fresh eggs, but aren't sure about the city ordinances concerning this. We'll have to check that out. Bees are pretty much out, too, but having a hive is on our wish list. If we can't make or raise our own, I would love to be able to buy locally grown or raised at the farmer's market downtown. I think going will be a great habit to start this summer when I am out of school.

I have also found some interesting recipes for laundry soap, diswasher soap, and deodorant that I plan to try as soon as I get a free moment.

The idea, for me, is not just to eat organically, or for best nutrition. That is great, but the idea for me is to do what's best for my body, and my Earth. I know we are nowhere near where we should be, but we ARE on the journey to that destination. If you just look at the grand scheme of things, it can be overwhelming. My advice is to just take small, measurable, and doable steps. Once those steps are routine, take another couple of steps, and so on. You will be surprised with yourself, how good you feel, and how motivated you become to continue.

Here are some great blogs/websites that can help you get going....

Amy Fights the Fat
Green Guide
Green is Sexy
The Go Green Blog

3 comments:

erin said...

Ahhh! Kevin and I just bought / made our chicken coop! We are going to get the chickens this week! I can't wait. That is so funny that you are thinking about it too - and we have never talked about it! I am so sure! We are sistas. I am so excited to get the little chickys. I think we are getting 3 maybe 4.

Tracy Crosby said...

Yeah, we want at least two...hopefully we can have one in the city!

jenniferhoiyin said...

love this! chickens are on my wish list too. i came over via ISLY, love the blog look.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...