Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cookie For Breakfast? YES, Please!

Since beginning my quest to get into shape, I have been getting up early... REALLY REALLY early... to go workout. Needless to say, I am not interested in a fussy breakfast before I go. I longed for something that I could eat in the car while drinking my coffee and driving to the gym. I tried some different types of protein bars, and they were good, but then I stumbled upon this healthy goodie that has everything to help me start my day.

Banana Oat Breakfast Cookie

Ingredients:
nonstick cooking spray
1 large banana, mashed (1/2 cup)
1/2 cup chunky natural peanut butter
1/2 cup organic honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup organic rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup dried cranberries or raisins

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat two cookie sheets with cooking spray; set aside. In a large bowl stir together banana, peanut butter, honey, and vanilla. In a small bowl combine oats, flour, milk powder, cinnamon, and baking soda. Stir the oat mixture into the banana mixture until combined. Stir in dried cranberries or raisins.
2. Using a scant 1/4 cup measure, drop mounds of dough 3 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. With a thin metal or small plastic spatula dipped in water, flatten and spread each mound of dough into a 2 1/4 inch round, about 1/2 inch thick. Once baked, each cookie will be about 3 1/2 to 4 inches in diameter.
3. Bake, one sheet at a time, for 9-11 minutes or until browned. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight container or resealable bag for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months; thaw before serving. Makes 12 breakfast cookies.

I usually keep 3 or 4 out, and freeze the rest. Also, the last batch I made I used applesauce instead of banana because my 3 year old had confiscated the last banana for himself. They turned out just as tasty. OH! I haven't done this yet, and it's a total no brainer, BUT I think with my next batch I am going to mix it up a bit by adding dark chocolate chips rather than dried fruit. Why? Cause I am sassy like that. Hope you try these delicious guilt free morning treat!!


Nutrition facts per cookie: 227 cal, 6 g total fat, 0 mg chol. 77mg sodium, 37 g carb., 4 g dietary fiber, 6 g protein.

2 comments:

erin said...

What it I don't have milk powder? What is that anyway?

Tracy Crosby said...

I didnt use milk powder. I put it on the grocery list, but somehow it didn't get picked up. (cough**andre**cough) They tasted fine without it. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...